Mobilising UKs social entrepreneurs with SSE
Lloyds Banking Group Social Entrepreneurs Programme
Applications for this programme are now closed.
We're delighted to be supporting a pioneering new programme, in partnership with the School for Social Entrepreneurs (SSE) and Lloyds Banking Group. Over the next five years, the Lloyds Banking Group Social Entrepreneurs programme will support a growing movement of community entrepreneurs as they start-up and grow social and community enterprises.
Each year the scheme will provide 150 inspiring individuals across eight locations with a share of £1m in funded training and grants through their local School for Social Entrepreneurs (SSE).
Nominet Trust will be supporting 20 of these places each year, providing investment for social entrepreneurs who are using digital technology to address big social challenges. On successful completion of the programme, these entrepreneurs will be invited to apply for further support from the Nominet Trust investment fund.
Successful SSE Alumni that have been successful in securing Nominet Trust support in the past include:
And most recently;
- Sinead MacManus and Digital Assistant Academy. You can find out about Sinead's journey from SSE to Nominet Trust in her blog.
What is the scheme about?
Applications for The Lloyds Banking Group Social Entrepreneurs Programme will close on Monday 28 May at 10am and delivery will begin in October 2012.
The programme will support 150 social entrepreneurs* each year, for five years, with comprehensive support from the SSE through its innovative ‘action learning’ programmes, plus grants of £4,000 and £15,000 and an annual £25,000 award:
- 130 ‘Start Up’ awards: grants of £4,000, a place on a Start Up SSE learning programme delivered in eight UK locations and access to networks and continued alumni support following their completion of the programme;
- 20 ‘Scale Up’ awards: grants of £15,000 and a place on a Scale Up SSE learning programme delivered at SSE headquarters in London, plus access to networks and continued alumni support following their completion of the programme; and
- 1 ‘Lloyds Banking Group Social Entrepreneur of the year’ award, given to a Scale Up applicant who demonstrates outstanding potential. The award includes a place on the National Scale Up SSE learning programme, access to networks and continued alumni support following their completion of the programme and a grant of £25,000 to scale their organisation.
The training will be delivered by SSE’s eight franchise schools in the following locations: London, Yorkshire and Humber, North West, Bristol, East of England, Cornwall, Hampshire and Scotland.
Since 1997, SSE’s participants have a 20% higher survival rate compared with traditional businesses, according to an independent research report*.
*These figures are based on extrapolating the findings of the School for Social Entrepreneurs 1997-2011 Impact Evaluation Report (2011) by New Philanthropy Capital. This evaluated the impact of SSE’s core programme, which is similar in structure to the Lloyds Banking Group Social Entrepreneurs Project. It found that:
- The five year survival rate of SSE Fellows (alumni) organisations is 20% higher than that for UK businesses.
- Total value of jobs created by SSE Fellows is estimated to be £13m per year.
- On average, each organisation set up by an SSE Fellow recruits two full time and three part-time workers after graduation. The report estimated that organisations set up by SSE fellows benefit over 800,000 people per year, delivering outcomes to a range of beneficiaries, including children, young people, older people and disadvantaged groups.