Social Tech Seed
Social Tech Seed is now closed for applications
Social Tech Seed is an open grant-funding programme that offers entrepreneurial organisations early-stage investment to develop innovative projects harnessing the power of the internet and digital technologies to deliver significant social change. The programme supports projects tackling pressing social challenges such as the environment and sustainability, education, employment and healthcare. Social Tech Seed will provide funding and support to help you demonstrate the social, user and financial value of your existing digital prototype.
Social Tech Seed highlights:
Social Tech Seed provides funding and support that enables entrepreneurial organisations with a basic, but functional, digital prototype to develop it into a more robust product or service and demonstrate its value to intended users and other stakeholders. If your application is successful, you can expect to receive:
Who are we looking for?
We want to work with entrepreneurial organisations that share our belief in the potential of the internet and digital technology to offer new approaches to tackling pressing social challenges including environment and sustainability, education, employment, wellbeing and healthcare. Your compelling proposition is more important to us than what type of organisation you are. For example, you could be a social organisation (e.g. a charity or CIC) with an innovative new digital approach to your work; or a tech team with a disruptive solution that addresses a specific social challenge.
- Should have a clear and demonstrable social purpose
- Will typically be UK-based, though the benefits of your work may extend globally
- Will already be a registered legal entity, or prepared to become one
- Should have in-house tech expertise
- May well have experience of the social issue you are seeking to address - either directly, or via a co-designed proposition
- Should have an understanding of the marketplace your digital product or service is entering – and be able to explain why your proposition is differentiated from existing provision
- You will already have developed a basic digital prototype
- You will be looking to develop a first proof of concept utilising your prototype
- You will have undertaken some feasibility testing with small groups of users and/or beneficiaries to illustrate the potential and demand for your new digital product or service
Take a look at our assessment criteria here.
By the end of this funding you will have:
- A more robust, working digital product/service
- Piloted with the intended beneficiary group – and potentially other stakeholders
- Identified and acted upon potential routes for further development (to market, towards scale etc)
- Evaluated and evidenced the potential of the approach to address a social challenge
- Identified a clear approach to describing and demonstrating the potential of your project to future partners
- Greater clarity on routes to achieving sustainability
Who have we already supported through Social Tech Seed?
I want to apply, what next?
If you think you have what we are looking for, then complete and submit our online Stage 1 application form. If you are successful, we will invite you to complete our online Stage 2 application form.
Social Tech Seed Timeline
Key dates for Social Tech Seed are below.
Applications are now closed.
Stage 1 application deadline
Stage 2 application deadline
|Stage 2 assessment period||Investment decision announced|
|14 April 2016||26 May 2016||June – July 2016||Summer 2016|
Note: any applications not submitted by the deadline will have their system status set as 'Completed' and no further action will be taken with them.