Who can apply
The majority of ventures we invest in are UK-based. However, overseas applications will be considered if they align with our programmes of investment and can clearly demonstrate how they will address social challenges faced in the UK.
We will consider applications from entrepreneurs, teams, start-ups or organisations who want to apply their talent and technology to address UK social issues.
If you are an individual, you can apply for funding but if you are successful you will be required to form a registered legal entity.
Typical organisations we invest in include:
- Charitable or not-for-profit organisations
- Commercially-run organisations that act as social enterprises
- Community groups, schools, PTAs
- Statutory bodies, such as local authorities
There are a number of organisations that we cannot fund. If you represent one of the following, please do not apply:
- political parties
- political lobbying groups
What we don't support
There are certain types of projects, or project budgetary items that we do not support, such as:
- hardware or software procurement projects; for example, a project to equip a school with PCs, buy software licences, or install wi-fi for a community
- website improvements where no new functional or service delivery innovations are created
- website development unless the project and organisation delivers against one of our areas of focus and meets our funding guidelines
- core organisational running costs per se
As a learning organisation, we are not looking for projects that have limited ambitions for the use of digital technology; for example if you are wanting to add digital to existing services in order to make them more efficient or cost-effective, we are not the funder for you.
For more information on what we will invest in, please refer to our FAQs